Establishing, Restructuring and Protecting Corporations with sound Corporate and Commercial Law expertiseHillhouse Burrough McKeown has been helping clients establish and restructure businesses, facilitate sales and takeovers, as well as structuring agreements to assist in daily operation of companies.
Hillhouse Burrough McKeown provides companies of all sizes, from ASX listed corporations through to start up ventures, with corporate and commercial legal advice regarding Corporations Law that is clear, practical and commercially useful.
- Agreements to cover death or incapacity of shareholders or partners
- Business structuring
- Business succession planning and insurance
- Buying and selling a business in Australia
- Buying and selling shares in a company operating a business
- Buying and selling units in a unit trust
- Corporate finance
- Dealing with insolvent corporations
- Disputes between shareholders, unit holders or partners in a business
How Corporations Law in Australia worksIn Australia, Corporations Law is a decided on a Federal level and is primarily governed by the Corporations Act 2001 and its attendant regulations. The Corporations Act sets out the requirements for the creation, fundraising, management and winding up of Australian companies.
The Corporations Act works in tandem with common law to set out the duties that company directors, secretaries and officeholders have in the establishment, fundraising and management of their company. The law imposes a set of duties which are aimed at protecting the interest shareholders and creditors of companies.
The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) provides regulatory oversight for companies in Australia. It also maintains extensive records of companies. Other regulatory bodies such as the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) and the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) provide oversight of specialised areas of Australian commerce.
Frequently Asked Questions about Corporations Law:Below are a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Corporations Law.
- How do buy/sell insurance agreements work?
- What constitutes insolvent trading?
- How can shareholder disputes be resolved?
- What are the rights of minority shareholders?
Corporations Law Resources / Links:
Talk to one of our Corporations Law experts:
- Ian Hillhouse, Managing Partner, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6109
- Craig Hong, Partner, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6120
- Michael Morris, Lawyer, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6122
- David Adolphe, Special Counsel, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6124