Establishing, Managing, & Protecting Intellectual (IP) AssetsHillhouse Burrough McKeown have helping clients around Australia to establish, manage and protect their intellectual property.
Intellectual Property Law (IP) in AustraliaIntellectual Property Law in Australia is governed by a complex system of Federal legislation and international treaties. The Legislation includes the Copyright Act, Patents Act, Trademarks Act and other legislation.
Copyright provides an automatic protection to creators of written and visual works. Copyright protection in Australia is currently the lifespan of the creator plus 70 years. It protects the creator's right to profit from their creations.
Trade mark Law in Australia is a system of registering trade marks in certain categories. Protection of the trade mark exists for as long as the trade mark is registered. Trade mark protection prevents other persons from using a trademark that is substantially identical or deceptively similar to your Trademark.
Patent Law in Australia is also a system of registration. Patents protect inventions, methods and products. After registration, patents provide protection for a maximum of twenty years. A registered patent protects the patent owner from others using his or her invention. This allows him or her to obtain a commercial reward for their effort.
International treaties also exist regarding the protection of various types of intellectual property law.
Frequently Asked Questions about Intellectual Property Law:Below are a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Intellectual Property Law.
- What constitutes copyright infringement?
- What is copyright?
- How long does copyright last?
- Has my patent has been infringed?
- What is the difference between a Patent Attorney and a Lawyer?
- What is a patent?
- What is a trade mark?
- Do I have protection without a Trade Mark?
- What business assets can be copyrighted?
Intellectual Property Law Tips:Below are a list of tips related to Intellectual Property Law.
Intellectual Property Law Resources / Links:
- IP Australia
- The Advisory Council on Intellectual Property (the Council or ACIP)
- Australian Government - Intellectual Property
- Australian Government Intellectual Property Rules
- Queensland Government - Intellectual Property
- Queensland Business IP, A Queensland Government Initiative
Talk to one of our Intellectual Property Law experts:
- Craig Hong, Partner, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6120
- Michael Morris, Associate, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6122
- David Adolphe, Special Counsel, Brisbane. Phone: (07) 3228 6124